2-Day Kids Kayak Craze
This two-day beginner kayaking clinic for kids on the Deerfield River in Massachusetts offers children ages 10-13 a chance to learn whitewater kayaking in a fun and relaxed environment designed just for them. Your kids will just love our friendly professional ACA certified instructors and we maintain an instructor to student ratio of 1 to 4.
Our Kids Kayak Craze covers basic paddling and safety techniques with a short run of the Deerfield River at the end of the day.
This season we will be offereing the Kids Kayak Craze on July 15-16 2017.
Want to do this course as a private, semi-private or with your own group? Check out our information on custom clinics and when you're ready we will help set-up a great course on your dates. This is a great option for a birthday party too!
Price: $270.00 per person includes all equipment, instruction, catered, picnic-style lunch and transportation from our base to and from the paddling sites.
Goal of the clinic:
To introduce kids aged 10-13 to the sport of kayaking in a kid-oriented way.
Who should take the clinic:
This clinic is designed for kids who have never whitewater kayaked or those just getting into the sport.
What will be covered:
We spend the majority of the clinic on flatwater learning how to exit and lean the kayak and working on basic kayak strokes such as sweeps, forward strokes, draws and braces. We play lots of games and keep the focus on fun. We finish the day with a short river run and play our way through class I/II rapids.
A Typical Paddling Day
Your clinic will meet at our base in Charlemont, Ma. at 9:00 AM. The clinic will start on time, so please be prompt. Complimentary hot drinks will be available upon your arrival. Your clinic will come to an end at about 5:00 PM.
On most clinics you will spend the morning on flatwater learning or fine tuning paddling strokes. In the afternoon, you will usually paddle a section of whitewater. Because these are instructional clinics, your instructors will be encouraging you to push your physical and mental limits.
The number of students in your clinic may vary. We have a maximum student-to-instructor ratio of 4:1 and a maximum clinic size of 12 students.
You will be spending somewhere between four to five hours in your boat. To prepare you will want to stretch your thighs hamstrings and torso (back, stomach, shoulders and neck). If you increase your flexibility, you will have more efficient strokes, and you will be more comfortable in your boat. The book “Stretching” by Bob Anderson is an excellent reference for specific stretches.
What should I wear?
While some of the flatwater areas we use are quite warm in June, July and August, the Deerfield River is always cool, regardless of the time of year or air temperature. When packing your paddling clothes, please plan accordingly, especially if you are coming early or late in the season (April, May, September and October). Our clinics will run rain or shine.
Wear items such as :
- synthetic long underwear, garments made of plypropylene, capilene, or some polyester/spandex blend.
- fleece or wool socks
- bathing suit
- fleece or wool jacket/sweater (early/late season or if you tend to chill easily)
Other items to bring.
- retaining strap for glasses
- nose plugs
- required medications
- extra money for snacks, t-shirts, or coin operated showers.
Zoar Outdoor will provide:
- paddle jacket
- life jacket
We provide a catered picnic-style lunch on all our clinics. Typical lunches include homemade rolls, sliced turkey, ham or other meats, sliced cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, chips, salsa, hummus, pasta or other salad, cookies or other dessert and hot and cold drinks.
The following statement is required by state law: "Before placing your order, please inform your server if a person in your party has a food allergy."
(If you own your own equipment, we suggest you use it in the clinic to get used to its quirks.)
- Take Route 2 west. Where Route 2 merges with Interstate 91 in Greenfield, take 91 south, but be sure to exit again onto Route 2 west at the next exit (exit 26).
- Zoar Outdoor is about 17 miles west of this exit. We’re based in a red colonial on the north side of the road. Look for the blue, white and green sign.
- Driving time from downtown approximately 2 1/2 hours.
From New York City:
- Take Interstate 95 north to Interstate 91 north.
- Take exit 26 in Massachusetts and follow Route 2 west for about 17 miles. We’re based in a red colonial on the north side of the road. Look for the blue, white and green sign.
- Driving time from Manhattan approximately 3 1/2 - 4 hours, depending upon traffic.
From Albany, New York:
- Take Route 2 east through North Adams.
- Continue past North Adams and over the mountain, about 20 miles. Our base is the red house on the north side of Route 2 on the western outskirts of the town center. Look for the blue, white and green sign.
- Driving time approximately 1 1/2 hours.
At the start of your clinic you will get two shop discount cards good for two weeks from the date of your clinic. One card entitles you to 10% off accessories in our Outfitters Shop. The second card entitles you to a $50.00 discount off a boat purchase. All boat purchases come with free outfitting and 10% off accessories in the Outfitters Shop for the next year.