Whitewater SUP Clinic
Stand Up Paddleboarding is one of the fastest growing sports because of it's versatility and cool factor. Come join us for a skills clinic and paddle on the beautiful Deerfield River in Western Massachusetts. Typically this clinic is for those brand new to Stand Up Paddling and whitewater. We will spend some of the day learning basic equipment, control, strokes and safety information, and then move into a section of whitewater appropriete for the groups ability levels. Our experienced, ACA-certified instructors can tailor the clinic to your specific goals.
Although we currently don't have any dates schedualed please call our office at 800-532-7483 or go to our custom clinics page and we'll help set-up this course to your schedule. Book with friends and save!
Goal of the clinic
Our goal for custom clinics is to provide the necessary instruction to help the students reach their goals. It is important to arrive at Zoar with a clear understanding of what you want to get out of your clinic. Your goals should be reasonable and attainable. If you want to become an expert paddler in one day, it will not be possible.
Who should take the clinic
An individual or group who wants specific instruction, particulars skills or techniques.
A Typical Paddling Day
Your clinic will meet at our base in Charlemont, Ma. The clinic will start on time, so please be prompt. Complimentary hot drinks will be available upon your arrival.
The usual paddling day lasts from 9:00 AM to about 5:00 PM. On most clinics you will spend the morning on flat water learning or fine tuning paddling strokes. In the afternoon, you will usually paddle a section of water appropriate to your skill level. Because these are instructional clinics, your instructors will be encouraging you to push your physical and mental limits. In paddling, that usually means you may be falling off your board, swimming it to shore or getting back on it, and consequently getting wet and tired. Each student will have their own board and will be expected to carry it from the vehicle to the water and vice versa.
What should I wear?
While some of the areas we use are quite warm in June, July and August, there are some areas which are always cool, regardless of the time of year or air temperature. When packing your paddling clothes, please plan accordingly, especially if you are coming early or late in the season (April, May, September and October). Our clinics will run rain or shine.
Wear items such as :
- bathing suit
- synthetic long underwear, garments made of plypropylene, capilene, or some polyester/spandex blend.
- fleece or wool socks
- fleece or wool jacket/sweater (early/late season or if you tend to chill easily)
- water shoes or other appropriate footware (flip-flops and crocks are not acceptable)
Other items to bring.
- retaining strap for glasses
- required medications
- extra money for snacks, t-shirts, or coin operated showers.
Zoar Outdoor will provide:
- SUP board
- life jacket
- helmet (as needed)
- wetsuit, paddle jacket, booties (if needed)
(If you own your own equipment, we suggest you use it in the clinic to get used to its quirks.)
- Take Route 2 west. Where Route 2 merges with Interstate 91 in Greenfield, take 91 south, but be sure to exit again onto Route 2 west at the next exit (exit 26).
- Zoar Outdoor is about 17 miles west of this exit. We’re based in a red colonial on the north side of the road. Look for the blue, white and green sign.
- Driving time from downtown approximately 2 1/2 hours.
From New York City:
- Take Interstate 95 north to Interstate 91 north.
- Take exit 26 in Massachusetts and follow Route 2 west for about 17 miles. We’re based in a red colonial on the north side of the road. Look for the blue, white and green sign.
- Driving time from Manhattan approximately 3 1/2 - 4 hours, depending upon traffic.
From Albany, New York:
- Take Route 2 east through North Adams.
- Continue past North Adams and over the mountain, about 20 miles. Our base is the red house on the north side of Route 2 on the western outskirts of the town center. Look for the blue, white and green sign.
- Driving time approximately 1 1/2 hours.
At the start of your clinic you will get two shop discount cards good for two weeks from the date of your clinic. One card entitles you to 10% off accessories in our Outfitters Shop. The second card entitles you to a $50.00 discount off a board purchase. All boat purchases come with free outfitting and 10% off accessories in the Outfitters Shop for the next year.