Pride Day on the River
June 10, 2023
- 2 Day Clinic
- Novice Kayak LGBQ+ 1-day clinic
Pride Day on the River:
Saturday June 10, 2023
Come celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride month on the Deerfield River! All LGBTQ+ people and allies are invited to paddle down the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield River on Saturday, June 10. In collaboration with Zoar Outdoor and The Venture Out Project, both new and experienced paddlers will spend the day paddling on the river and building community.
How to participate?
1. Experienced Community Paddle: For people experienced with whitewater and comfortable on Fife. Put on at noon. Free.
2. 2 Day Intro to Whitewater Clinic with Zoar: For people who want to learn some basics of whitewater kayaking and identify as LGBTQ+. Minimum of 4 participants. $238.27 ($200 plus fees) per participant. Lunch included.
We will all aim to be off the river and at Zoar by around 4:30pm for the After Party at Zoar to connect with new and old friends with food, raffle prizes, and stickers.
Why are we doing this? With a history of prejudice, discrimination, and abuse in the outdoors, LGBTQ+ people can be hesitant to engage in new outdoor recreation activities, which contributes to the lack of diversity in the outdoors. This event specifically creates inclusive and affirming spaces for the queer community to explore outdoor recreation opportunities. Facilitating access to river-based activities can build a more inclusive and diverse outdoor movement. The purpose of the day is for LGBTQ+ people and allies to participate in whitewater boating, make friends, and create community and connections to encourage further enjoyment and stewardship of our outdoor world.
This event is for adults 18 and older only unless joining the Experienced Community Paddle and accompanied by a parent or guardian. All participants are required to wear PFDs and helmets when in boats or in the water. Masks and other precautions will be required when gathering on land and other times as recommended by Massachusetts Department of Health, CDC and any other local ordinances. Come celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride month on the Deerfield River!
All LGBTQ+ folks are invited.
While some of the flatwater areas we use are quite warm in June, July, and August, the Deerfield River is always cool, regardless of the time of year or air temperature. When packing your paddling clothes, please plan accordingly, especially if you are coming early or late in the season (April, May, September, and October). Our clinics will run rain or shine.
Wear items such as:
- Synthetic long underwear, garments made of polypropylene, Capilene, or some polyester/spandex blend
- Fleece or wool socks
- Bathing suit
- Fleece or wool jacket/sweater (early/late season or if you tend to chill easily)
Other items to bring:
- Retaining strap for glasses
- Nose plugs
- Required medications
- Extra money for snacks, T-shirts, or coin-operated showers